The Customer Marketing Manager has a significant role within the Sales Organization and interacts cross-functionally on a regular basis with Field Sales, Brand Marketing, Finance, Regulatory, Creative and Supply Chain/Operations. This position will lead Customer Marketing efforts at Costco and engage in developing opportunities in new channels of distribution (IE. Beauty, Convenience, etc), reporting to the Sr. Manager Customer Marketing.
Account-Specific Planning and Marketing
- Collaborate with Field Sales to identify key account-specific marketing and promotional opportunities. This can include account-exclusive products, in-store signage, corrugate displays, premium in-store placement, print and digital ads, pulsed price promotions, digital coupons, etc.
- Drive all aspects of product development for account-exclusive products, including costing, financial review/approval, packaging and production timelines.
- Work with Field Sales to create account-specific presentations that address specific business opportunities or challenges.
- Lead all account-specific advertising and couponing promotions, from costing, creative, coupon value, redemption process, etc.
- Collaborate with Field Sales and Brand Marketing to develop sell-in and promotional strategies and tactics for new and existing portfolio items. Using Nielsen and other available data sets, provide quantitative analyses to support these strategies and tactics.
- Work cross-functionally to develop retail promotions that can be utilized at multiple accounts such as free-standing displays, PDQ trays, etc.
- Act as Subject Matter Expert for Nielsen and other quantitative market analytics.
- Work with Sr. Customer Marketing Manager and Field Sales to review account-specific promotional results to determine whether recent promotional activity was successful and worth repeating in the future.
- Spearhead competitive activity assessment at key accounts. Conduct analysis to define business implications and provide recommendations.
- Along with the Sr. Customer Marketing Manager, represent Field Sales at internal and third-party meetings, providing Field Sales perspective and requirements as needed.
- Work with Sales Operations to communicate key initiatives/updates to Field Sales.
- Lead asset requests and delivery to Field Sales from internal departments.
- Coordinate alignment between National Brand Marketing focus-periods and account-specific sales/marketing initiatives.
- Track weekly and monthly performance of key segments/products/initiatives at select accounts.
Required education and experience:
- Experience and knowledge of consumer products Sales and Customer Marketing to large format retailers in food, drug, mass, online and club channels is required.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in Field Sales is required.
- 2-3 years or more experience in vitamin, supplements, health and wellness or related categories preferred.
- Must be able to work effectively with internal cross functional teams.
- Must be able to comfortably deal with changing environments.
- Must be comfortable working in a lean organization with limited resources.
- Must possess customer/consumer-centric mindset.
- Must be a self-starter who is comfortable working autonomously; high energy level is essential.
- Must possess strong communication skills both written and verbal.
- Must have a strong results orientation.
- Must possess strong executional skills and pay close attention to detail.
- Must possess strong analytical and project management skills.
- Must be flexible, have a strong sense of urgency and be able to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be comfortable with Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, etc).
- Advanced Excel knowledge regarding formulas, pivot tables, vlookup etc… highly preferred.
- Must be knowledgeable and able to manipulate and extract information from internal software programs (i.e. SAP).
- Must be knowledgeable of Nielsen/IRI and other syndicated research tools and display strong category management skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field.
- Delivering results
- Analysis and problem solving
- Judgement to consistently develop correct plan
- Working well with others
- Communication skills
- *Managing and developing personnel
- *Strategic skills
- *Financial acumen
- *Functional Mastery
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift or move office products and supplies, up to 30 pounds.
Approximately 5% travel
Typically, an employee performs 80% of essential responsibilities to qualify for classification in this position. Variations may occur at the Company's discretion. The Company will attempt to provide reasonable accommodations to an individual with disabilities.